Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Post Impressionism

        Purpose: To gain a basic understanding about the Post-Impressionism Art Movement and to identify Artists who work(ed) in this style.


Post Impressionism wasn’t a formal movement or style, but a few independant artists who decided to rebel against the limitations of Impressionism in the late 19th century. They searched for an independant way to express their emotions, concentrating on deeper symbolism. Their style focused on emotional, spiritual, structural, and symbolic aspects that in their opinions were missing from Impressionism. The work of these artists formed the artistic foundation of future modern art. Paul Gauguin, Vincent Van Gogh, and Paul Cézanne all were popular post impressionists.

Works Cited
"Post Impressionism - The Roots of Modern Art." Post Impressionism. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Mar. 2014.
Voorhies, James. "Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History." Post-Impressionism. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Mar. 2014.


By doing this assignment I learned about the style of post-impressionist painters. I copied a Vincent van Gogh painting and to do this I needed to closely study the details of his work and observe the kind of lines and values that he used. Even though I used a different medium, I still needed to use similar lines and create similar textures to the ones that van Gogh created. This turned out to be pretty difficult as there were many small lines and patterns in the painting. I think that it would've come out better if I had used cray-pas, but I didn't have them available so I used colored pencil. This did allow me to get more details in the drawing, but it took some likeness away from the drawing. I also needed to combine and blend different shades of colors in certain areas which taught me about results of mixing colors.

A Corridor in the Asylum
Vincent van Gogh
1889

No comments:

Post a Comment